10 Facts about Oral Health care you never know
- New born babies have no caries forming bacteria. In fact, it is the babies mother who transmits the plaque forming bacteria by blowing on food before feeding and kissing the babies mouth
- Saccharine Sodium which is generally used as a sweetening agent in toothpaste is 500 times sweeter than sugar.
- Always replace a toothbrush after you had a cold, sore throat or notorious infections. The bacteria plant them on the toothbrush which can lead to reinfection.
- Contrary to popular belief, there isno significant advantage of an electric or powered toothbrush over the normal toothbrush except ease of use.
- You should always maintain a distance of 6 feet between the toilet and where you brush. The air borne particles from the flush can travel up to 6 feet.
- The teeth whitening toothpastes that claim to whiten your teeth have been found to be no more effective than their normal counterparts.
- There was a sudden massive surge of patients with tooth decay the year coke was launched.
- The swallowing of a fluoride containing toothpaste can cause many harmful effects such as fluoride toxicity. (Hence kids below 5 years should be given non fluoridated toothpastes)
- The popular practice of placing a cap on toothbrush head actually favors bacterial growthon it as moisture is increased in enclosed containers favoring the growth of bacteria.
- Vigorous brushing does more harm than good. Overzealous brushing can lead to eroded enamel which never grows back causing teeth sensitivity along with other oral problems.