6 Minutes a Day
Common sense tells us to brush our teeth twice a day to have healthy gums and teeth and to prevent getting dental cavities. The truth is that although most people know this general information, very few people know for sure exactly what they are suppose to do.
- Brushing one's teeth PROPERLY is crucial and adding the CORRECT AMOUNT of pressure are the main requirements to healthy teeth and gums.
- Brushing ‘too hard' and you can actually wear your enamel and dentine away and cause permanent damage to your gums. Once the gums recede, they can never grow back!!
- Always use a soft small brush when brushing your teeth. Don't get too attached to your toothbrush either. It takes only 2 – 3 months for the brush to wear out,and become ineffective. If you use a manual toothbrush you should brush between 3 -5 minutes, twice a day! With a power toothbrush only 2 minutes does the job! Most people spend only 40 – 60 seconds on their entire Oral Hygiene routine! Oops. Not smart.
- Of course most people also continue to get cavities year after year. With the price of an average filling costing ± R500-00, not even to speak about more extensive dental work, such as dental crowns and root canal treatment (that could cost you well over R4000-00 per tooth) that can be easily avoided with the 3mins twice a day that you invest in your Oral Hygiene. The next time you want to ask for a salary increase, give YOURSELFone…. 6 minutes a day is all it takes.
How to clean your mouth properly
- Place your toothbrush at a 45º angle against your gums.
- Only use a PEA SIZE drop of toothpaste. (too much causes too much foam)
- Rotate the brush gently in small circular motions.
- Brush the outer surfaces of all your teeth in all 4 quadrants.
- Repeat on the inner & chewing surfaces of all 4 quadrants. Brush quadrant for quadrant.
- Scrape your tongue with a tongue scraper to remove bad-breath-causing-bacteria. Start at the back and scrape forward, sweeping the bacteria out of your mouth.
- Rinse now with ALCOHOL-FREE mouth wash e.g. DENTYL mouth rinse.
- Tap yourself on the shoulder for another day of Perfect Oral Hygiene!