Healthy Chicken Soup with Yellow Lentils
I heard a storm is coming this weekend! Thought you could warm up with a nice healthy chicken and lentil soup!
1 whole chicken, cut up (marinate overnight in lemon juice if you have time)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup yellow lentils, soaked overnight
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 head medium cabbage, chopped, or spinach
4 cloves garlic, minced
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Placechicken in pot and brown each side for 5 minutes. Removeand set aside.
2. Place onions in the pot and saut� for 4�5 minutes. Add the tomatoesand saut� for another 5�10 minutes. Add both vinegars,lentils, stock, and chicken. Simmer for 1 hour on low heat.
3. Remove chicken and take off skin and bones. Then return thechicken to the pot.
4. Add the cabbage and cook for 15 minutes. Add the garlic andspinach (if using). Cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Serve over brown rice or alone with some parmesan cheesesprinkled on top.
Total Fat: 15 g
Carbs: 34 g
Protein: 36 g